There is a slew of deadlines, awards, and opportunities for anyone interested in the activities of the Association for the Study of Food and Society. These include an extended deadline for the best food studies conference in North America, student travel awards, and a search for a new editor of the ASFS flagship journal. See below and apply for whatever works for you. The deadlines are approaching fast for most of these.
ASFS Student Paper Awards
Received from Riki Saltzman, regarding the ASFS student paper awards (follow the link below for contact information):
Student Award Submission Guidelines
Deadline for Annual Submission (all required material): February 1. NO Exceptions! Electronic submissions ONLY!
The ASFS invites current undergraduate and graduate to submit a paper for the William Whit (undergraduate) and Alex McIntosh (graduate) prizes, respectively. These awards recognize students’ contributions to the field of food studies. There will be one award each for an undergraduate student paper and a graduate student paper. ASFS welcomes submissions on a wide range of issues relating to food, society and culture, and from the diverse disciplinary and trans-disciplinary fields that ASFS encompasses. The author of each award-winning paper will receive:
* payment of annual membership and conference fees to be applied to the following year if student is not attending in the current year
* a free banquet ticket for the coming year’s annual meeting or the following year’s if a ticket has already been purchased or the student is not attending the conference in the current year; and
* the opportunity to present prize-winning papers at an ASFS/AFHVS conference. Winners who wish to present the year they receive their award must have submitted a conference abstract by the conference deadline in that same year.
* Authors are highly encouraged to simultaneously submit an abstract to the ASFS/AFHVS conference by the conference deadline. Conference organizers cannot add your paper to an already completed program; you MUST submit an abstract by the deadline.
* Prize winning papers may be presented at an ASFS/AFHVS conference within two years of award. Those prize winners who submit a conference abstract in the subsequent two years, should indicate their award status (year and name of award) with the abstract.
* Prize winners may also postpone their registration and banquet ticket use for one year following the award.
Follow the link above for additional information!
ASFS/AFHVS Conference Deadline Extended!
From the conference organizers:
The original late submission deadline for the 2019 Annual ASFS/AFHVS Conferences has come and gone — but your opportunity to submit a presentation proposal has not! The schedule is nearly full, but we still have room. Don’t miss your chance to learn, network, and explore in the breathtakingly beautiful (and delicious) State of Alaska!
The revised submission deadline is Jan 15.
And, just like you should hustle to submit your abstract(s), you should also begin to explore your travel plan options NOW. For our part, we’ll hustle to send out remaining acceptance notifications! Alaska is a popular place to visit in the summer, and you want to make sure you get a good deal on your plane tickets and accommodations! Note that Alaska Airlines is an award-winning national/international airline loved by Alaskans, and you might find better prices directly on their booking website: alaskaair.com. Alaska Airlines is also partners with several other airlines, so you might be able to earn and spend miles on your trip! It’s a win-win!
We hope to see you this June, and we look forward to sharing so much of what Alaska has to offer. Don’t forget to also check out the many food-focused pre-conference activities you have to choose from to make the most out of your stay.
Your conference organizers are here to help — please let us know if you have questions we can answer as you plan your trip to the 2019 Annual ASFS/AFHVS Conferences!
Here is the link for more information: https://www.uaa.alaska.edu/academics/college-of-arts-and-sciences/programs/ASFS/call-for-papers.cshtml.
Position Announcement: Food, Culture and Society Editor-in-Chief
The Association for the Study of Food and Society (ASFS) seeks a new editor for its journal, Food, Culture and Society: An International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research. FCS publishes five issues per year through Taylor and Francis. The five-year term begins July 1, 2019.
Overseeing the manuscript review process from submission to publication, including initial review of submissions, determining eligibility for peer review, overseeing the peer review process, providing guidance to scholars regarding article appropriateness, maintaining high quality academic scholarship, ensuring publication in a timely manner. The position also requires communication with the FCS Editorial Board and ASFS leadership, preparation of an annual report, and hosting a journal board meeting at the ASFS annual conference. The position requires on average 8-10 hours per week.
An established record of scholarship in the field of food studies
Familiarity with (or willingness to learn) Taylor and Francis’s Editorial Manager article management software
A vision for food studies scholarship that aligns with the journal mission statement.
The Editorship comes with an annual stipend. The Editor may also select a Managing Assistant Editor, who also receives a stipend.
Please submit a one-page statement of interest to Amy Bentley at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 15, 2019. Qualified candidates will be interviewed via Skype.
Please contact current Editor Amy Bentley (email@example.com) for any questions regarding the position.