Why Join SAFN?
SAFN is made up of individuals who work on a wide range of topics related to food and nutrition. SAFN is a unit of the American Anthropological Association, which is the largest professional organization of anthropologists in the world. You don’t have to be an anthropologist to join—students and individuals working in related fields are welcome to join. Among the benefits of SAFN membership are:
- Access to the teaching resources on the website
- Access to the network of members and opportunities to make professional connections with others interested in food, nutrition, and anthropology
- Opportunities to participate in SAFN activities at the AAA meetings (which include tasty food and drink!)
- Access to any SAFN-sponsored publications
- Discounted registration for the annual AAA meetings for AAA members
- Many other benefits of AAA membership (see the AAA Website for more information)
How Do I Join?
Annual dues for SAFN membership are very reasonable. There are student and professional membership rates.
- Student Membership Annual Dues: $10
- Professional Membership Annual Dues: $30
Since SAFN is a unit of the American Anthropological Association, to join SAFN you must first join AAA. Dues to the AAA are income-based. To join AAA go to: http://www.aaanet.org/membership/. After you fill out the new member form, you will get to a list of AAA units (sections); Scroll down to Society for the Anthropology of Food and Nutrition and add that section to your membership.
Please contact us if you have any questions about membership.