Here is a great opportunity for a recent PhD…note that anthropological perspectives are especially welcome!
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Nutrition and Food Studies, Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development, New York University (2018-19)
The Department of Nutrition and Food Studies at NYU invites applications from outstanding candidates for a full-time Postdoctoral Research Fellowship. The position is within the Food Studies Program. It is available for one year. Candidates must have an earned PhD, with potential for outstanding research or public scholarship in an area aligned with the department’s work as specified below:
GOALS and SUBJECT AREAS
- Advance the field of Food Studies
- expand the boundaries of the field or sharpen its focus
- demonstrate the importance of Food Studies for other disciplines and/or public engagement
- advance the profile of Food Studies within NYU and outside it
- strengthen networks with other Food Studies or relevant programs elsewhere
- Emphasis will be placed on the cultural and social elements of Food Studies
- historical, modern and critical cultural, sociological, geographical, and anthropological approaches will be prioritized
- Selection will reward candidates whose work addresses local-global connections, particularly in urban centers
- boundary crossing and exchange (intra and inter-ethnic, international, etc.)
- global circulations of people, ideas, and products
- city geographies, demographics, and food environments
- Particular attention will be paid to candidates whose work
- merges aesthetic/cultural and economic/material dimensions
- projects that engage seriously with taste, pleasure, and identity alongside issues of regulation, transportation, commercialization, or other biophysical aspects of food production and consumption
- candidates who can show competency in using mapping software and have affinity for the digital humanities (e.g.: CartoDB; Omeka; etc.)
Fellows will be expected to:
- Continue research and expand their contribution to the field of Food Studies while at NYU
- publish in appropriate academic journals
- present in appropriate academic conferences
- Play an active role in the Program, Department, broader NYU and Food Studies community
- Present their research formally at least once during the year (ideally once per semester, in different formats and with different audiences)
- attend and participate regularly in relevant talks within the department and beyond
- nurture relationships with students and faculty
- Teach one or two courses in a year (to be determined in discussion with the Chair and the Program Director)
- Support the program for relevant initiatives (such as grant writing, aiding in partnership development and organizing colloquia).
Applicants must send:
1) CV (2-pages maximum)
2) two reference letters (to be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com ),
3) a statement (2 pages) describing a one-year research plan, publication preparation or a public humanities plan.
The application package should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com (electronic submission of one complete PDF file is required).
Subject line should say Food Studies Postdoc.
The deadline for submission is November 15th 2017. If the search is successful the term will begin in September 2018 or soon after.