ATTN SAFN MEMBERS: Start planning your sessions for AAA/CASCA 2019 in Vancouver, BC!
The time has come to start planning sessions for the annual AAA meeting – this year in collaboration with the Canadian Anthropology Society (CASCA).
The meeting will be held November 20-24, 2019 in Vancouver, BC, Canada. The theme is Changing Climates / Changer D’Air.
Vancouver is an amazing city for food and SAFN’s AAA Program Committee and Executive Board look forward to putting together a great program for our members – but we need your help. Please begin organizing your oral presentation sessions, roundtables, gallery sessions, installations, and workshops!
Please note that some of the submission dates have changed:
- Early registration prices end on March 20, 2019.
- Requests for Guest Presenter Registrations (formerly Membership Exemption) must be submitted by March 20, 2019.
- Submissions must be started in the Submission Portal by Friday, April 5 at 3:00 p.m. EDT.
- Submitters will have until Wednesday, April 10 at 3:00 p.m. EDT to finalize and submit their proposals.
SAFN encourages you to take advantage of a wide range of presentation formats:
- Oral presentation sessions (standard and retrospective)
- Roundtables (standard and retrospective)
- Group flash presentations (5 minutes each)
- Curated group gallery sessions (with posters or other visual content)
- Installations (including performances, readings, or other creative forms of expression)
- Individually volunteered papers and posters
- Mentoring event
Invited and Co-Sponsored Sessions
We will consider all sessions submitted to SAFN for Invited status. Last year we co-sponsored several sessions with Culture and Agriculture, the Society for Medical Anthropology, and the Society for Linguistic Anthropology. These co-sponsorships were a great success and they increased our visibility and audience! We hope expand our co-sponsorships this year. Please let us know about your sessions and make suggestions for co-sponsorships as soon as possible.
Organizing sessions vs. individually volunteered papers
Although the AAA communication platform is changing, we encourage you to take advantage of the listserv and new AAA Communities to organize a session or find a session for your individual contributions. The SAFN committee will do its best to organize individually volunteered papers into panels for review – but our experience is that organized panels are more cohesive.
A reminder that you must be a member of either AAA or CASCA, and register for the meeting to submit a proposal. (Exemption requests for Guest Presenter Registrations must be submitted by March 20, 2019.) Also, individuals can only present one major (Presenter) role plus one secondary (Discussant) role per meeting. There are no limits on minor roles (Organizer/Chair).
All submission details can be found here — but please feel free to reach out to us if you have questions.
The 2019 SAFN AAA Program Committee
Jennifer Jo Thompson – email@example.com