Call for papers from the International Commission on the Anthropology of Food and Nutrition for their upcoming conference:
The International Commission on the Anthropology of Food and Nutrition (ICAF) invite proposals for papers exploring “Food, Internet and Social Media”. The aim of this conference will be the phenomenon of food culture in the age of virtualization and the virtual relationship around the social networks. Internet shows and shares our global and local preferences and our virtual habits reveal our food manners, social and ethnic identities, new behavioural patterns, eating habits… New categories related to Food as “Foodporn”, “Gastrosphere” “(virtual) Foodies”, “Instafood”, etc. emerges in a number of websites devoted to food aesthetics, wines, food and wine tourism, restaurant reviews, food production and consumption, healthy diets and nutrition…
This conference aims to be an opportunity to discuss the global-local influence of the Internet and the virtual social media on the state of Food Culture and cultures. We invite participants to present their research on relevant subjects looking for an interdisciplinary approach that will reveal important aspects of the conference theme.
We encourage participants interested in this conference to submit an abstract for consideration. We welcome papers with anthropological, sociological, historical, nutritional, geographic or economic perspectives, as well as approaches from Health Sciences, Tourism, Enterprise, etc.
We welcome papers discussing the role of the Internet on food and nutrition in modern culture, especially regarding the (non-exhaustive) following issues:
- Food Cultures, the Internet, and the Social Media;
- The Internet and its influence regarding food sources, food production, distribution and consumption, economic trade-off…;
- The influence of Internet information about food influencing consumer health, nutrition and welfare;
- Social Media and new behavioural patterns and eating habits: Foodporn, foodies, food aesthetics, social attitudes and behaviours…;
- Food, Identities and the virtual world: the new construction of local, traditional food, identities, and self-sufficiency versus international food;
- Consumer communication, information and insights;
- The influence of the Internet in gastronomy, food and wine tourism, food events…;
- Food, Internet, education, and research.
SUBMISSIONS OF PROPOSALS
Proposals should be submitted by October 15th 2014. Abstracts and papers should be in Spanish, English or Portuguese.
Submit your abstract of 200-300 words in an email (no attachments) to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include a brief biographical statement (max. 150 words).
We will notify you by November 2nd if your proposal has been accepted.
For more information about this call, or the conference, please contact:
Deadline: October 15th 2014