Future of Food Anthropology Fellowship
Building on our 2020 Statement on Racial Injustice, SAFN is launching the Future of Food Anthropology Fellowship. Beginning in 2023, we will award two fellowships annually to junior self-identified BIPOC scholars. The award includes $500 and a one-year membership to AAA and SAFN. The aim of this fellowship is to amplify the research, community-engaged scholarship, or activism of junior scholars of color and catalyze more public engagement with food anthropology, while also building a more inclusive anthropology of food and nutrition. These fellowships aim to provide an opportunity for junior scholars of color to amplify their voices and scholarship by creating:
1) a platform to share their work via SAFN’s FoodAnthropology blog;
2) an opportunity to network and put their scholarship in dialog with others;
3) mentorship throughout this process from SAFN leadership;
4) an opportunity to participate in SAFN leadership.
Each selected Fellow will edit and contribute to a themed series of blog postings on FoodAnthropology related to their own work. This is intended to provide the Fellow with an opportunity to expand their scholarly network and create both a personal and collective body of work in a format that is more timely and more accessible than regular academic publishing. The blog series will be expected to include 3 or more contributions from the Fellow, as well as 2-3 contributions solicited from other scholars over the course of the award year. The Fellow will receive networking support and mentorship for this process from the SAFN Board.
- Applicant must self-identify as Black, Indigenous, or Person of Color.
- Applicant must be an undergraduate or graduate student, or within 3 years of graduation.
Fellowship application requirements:
- 2 page statement, including the following components:
- Describe your research, community-engaged scholarship, or activism, and how it relates to the anthropology of food and nutrition.
- Propose your topic for a series for the blog, including 2-3 names of potential contributors.
- Explain how this fellowship would help you amplify your work.
- CV or Resumé
- Name and contact info for an advisor or mentor familiar with the applicant’s work
- Call for applications: Jan 15
- Applications due: March 30
- Fellows will be announced by May 1
Please send applications to SAFN Awards Committee Chair (Ryan Adams, firstname.lastname@example.org), with “Future of Food” in the subject line.